03 March, 2012

20 Questions

I originally posted this a while ago on the Castle Nicodemus devoted blog. I've since decided not to bother with keeping a separate blog for it - kinda dumb. Thus, I'm re-posting it here.


Thanks to Brendan at Untimately! Here are 20 rule questions that are bound to come up at some point, and the way I will answer them for Nicodemus games.
  1. Ability scores generation method? 3d6 in order, no adjustments. Str, Int, Wis, Con, Dex, Cha.
  2. How are death and dying handled? At zero the player rolls on Trollsmyth's Death & Dismemberment Table. They will keep rolling on it anytime they're hit until they're above zero, usually with a negative modifier the same as their hits.
  3. What about raising the dead? No NPC in the area can do it. Try hauling them elsewhere.
  4. How are replacement PCs handled? Play an NPC for a while, or roll & arrive.
  5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Group, 1st round determines all. Chainmail weapon classes determine melee order.
  6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Crits yes, on a 20 if you also roll max damage. Fumbles are generally rp'd via imagination and circumstance.
  7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? Can sacrifice for a head crit.
  8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yes.
  9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Be willing to run.
  10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes.
  11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Yes. Be smart.
  12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? Usually no big deal. Don't push it.
  13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? Gain a level right away. All spells after starters must be found in some way, including within the party. Also counts for clerics.
  14. What do I get experience for? Treasure, monsters, carousing, session reports.
  15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Either works. Description can be more effective.
  16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? Yes, OD&D rules.
  17. How do I identify magic items? The Gypsy Lady will identify for 250gp.
  18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? The Gypsy Lady occasionally has potions for sale.
  19. Can I create magic items? When and how? OD&D rules. Can't really be done in the field.
  20. What about splitting the party? Caveat emptor

No comments: