31 January, 2011

Amazing Powers of The Mind

I was never satisfied with the system called psionics in 1st edition AD&D. It seemed like two semi-related systems cobbled together. Of course, much later I discovered that's exactly what it was. When psionics showed up in Eldritch Wizardry, the 3rd supplement to OD&D, it was originally intended to be the basis of Steve Marsh's mystic, plus the Psi Attacks of some other un-named class. No wonder.

I (sadly) don't have Carcosa. I like ChicagoWiz's psionics ideas, but I'd like something more expanded as well, maybe for someone dedicated to it, or just for more options with a wild-talent-type character. Thus, I think I'm going to try to figure some out on my own..

I'm going to use this post at TV Tropes as a starting point. I think it's a great place to start.

2 comments:

Trey said...

I would love to see a less clunky, but still favorable psionics system.

Paul said...

It's probably worth looking at the psionics system in Realms of Crawling Chaos too.

The powers are not meant for PC's, but you could use the psionic combat mechanism. It's an opposed Wisdom check. If the attacker and the target have the same Wisdom score, the attack has a 10 in 20 chance of success.