29 October, 2010

Horror Movies

I don't remember when it happened, but Halloween is my favourite holiday. Through a long series of internal segues, I went from this thought, to wanting to share the various things I'd taken from horror movies to put in my game worlds. Just movies. The inclusion of books and other sources would produce far too much material.
  • The flying silver blade ball from Phantasm
  • The puzzle box from Hellraiser
  • Abbie Normal from Young Frankenstein
  • The vampire's assistant from Salem's Lot. To this day, I'm awestruck they got James Mason to do that.
  • The death-jawas from Phantasm
  • The hide-my-eyes-icky chain hooks from Hellraiser
  • The re-inspired turning attempt from Fright Night
  • Many lines, especially "That's to be expected" from The Unnameable
  • The hand-in-the-eye from The Gate
  • The killer severed hand from Evil Dead 2 (moreso this version than the Addams Family)
  • More than one undead has been heard to wax poetic with "I'll swallow your soul!!"
  • Succubi, demon-summoning, and tons of atmosphere from Spectre
  • The Thing from .. The Thing. This version specifically, due to the head-spider.
Ah, such sweet memories.

5 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

That was fun to read. "It's Eye-gore" such a great great movie.

Happy Halloween. It's my favorite holiday as well. Even taking Halloween vacation, soon as Hubby gets home.

Have a very scary night and an oogie boogie, weekend.

Chris Creel said...

Some game friends and I just watched the Kurt Russell version of The Thing earlier this fall. It is good, gory stuff.

Ethan said...

The Unnameable was a great take on a Lovecraft tale when I was in high school...

Then I watched it again after college and was left disappointed.

On my list would be:
Being stabbed with the crotch horn, Lair of the White Worm

Anything Malachi did in Children of the Corn

Half the lines in the movie from the Fearless Vampire Killers (or, Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are In My Neck)

migellito said...

Lair of the White Worm! haha, forgot about that one. Hugh Grant, right?

Ethan said...

Yes, sadly enough...