Thanks to Brendan at Untimately! Here are 20 rule questions that are bound to come up at some point, and the way I will answer them for Nicodemus games.
- Ability scores generation method? 3d6 in order, no adjustments. Str, Int, Wis, Con, Dex, Cha.
- How are death and dying handled? At zero the player rolls on Trollsmyth's Death & Dismemberment Table. They will keep rolling on it anytime they're hit until they're above zero, usually with a negative modifier the same as their hits.
- What about raising the dead? No NPC in the area can do it. Try hauling them elsewhere.
- How are replacement PCs handled? Play an NPC for a while, or roll & arrive.
- Initiative: individual, group, or something else? Group, 1st round determines all. Chainmail weapon classes determine melee order.
- Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work? Crits yes, on a 20 if you also roll max damage. Fumbles are generally rp'd via imagination and circumstance.
- Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet? Can sacrifice for a head crit.
- Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly? Yes.
- Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything? Be willing to run.
- Level-draining monsters: yes or no? Yes.
- Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death? Yes. Be smart.
- How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked? Usually no big deal. Don't push it.
- What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time? Gain a level right away. All spells after starters must be found in some way, including within the party. Also counts for clerics.
- What do I get experience for? Treasure, monsters, carousing, session reports.
- How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination? Either works. Description can be more effective.
- Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work? Yes, OD&D rules.
- How do I identify magic items? The Gypsy Lady will identify for 250gp.
- Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions? The Gypsy Lady occasionally has potions for sale.
- Can I create magic items? When and how? OD&D rules. Can't really be done in the field.
- What about splitting the party? Caveat emptor
Post a Comment