10 January, 2011

Stars Without Number

Like many people, I just read Stars Without Number the other night, thanks to it popping up on several osr blogs. Like many people, I really super-ultra-ecstatic liked it. It reminded me EXACTLY how I felt when I first bought the boxed set of Starter Traveller from It's Your Move in the dungeon basement of Cinderella City in Denver way back in something like 1983. When I started reading I couldn't put it down. I read and read and read, and suddenly a whole ton of hours had gone by, and I had to go to the bathroom really bad. This is a sign of an awesome book.

I'm really bummed that I have no-one to play it with. It does things that I wished Traveller would do. Not only that, it does them in a way that's reasonable + awesome. One time I tried to get one of my DnD groups to play Traveller, and I had them roll up characters like in DnD, with 3-18 stats and such. After reading Stars Without Number, I realise I completely blew it. Kevin did not completely blow it. He got it completely awesome.

1 comment:

Trey said...

Damn you all! All these positive reviews are only going to make me buy this game.